Company Description: As one of the nation's leading providers of individual disability income insurance, we preserve the dignity and protect the lifestyles of American families in financial and emotional crisis due to injury or serious illness.
It takes special people to do this type of work: people with vision and compassion, intelligence and enthusiasm. For applicants who embody these qualities, Berkshire Life, A Guardian Company, offers a broad range of employment opportunities - from entry level to highly skilled, from technical to creative.
At Berkshire Life, we recognize that employees who care about their communities are well suited for the business of helping our clients.
Business Analyst II- East Coast Remote Preferred
Some High School Coursework
Do you have the desire to be part of an innovative business analyst team? Is a culture where “People Count” and “We do the Right Thing” important to you? If so, Guardian Life Insurance Company is actively seeking a strategic, creative, adaptive and self-motivated individual to join its Business Analyst team. The ideal candidate uses Agile methodologies to identify and document business needs, effectively communicate with all levels of Guardian and serve as a liaison across business areas and between business and technical teams. This Business Analyst II will support top strategic initiatives and interacts with leaders throughout the enterprise.
* Creates and performs ongoing updates to LEAN business cases for the Commercial and Government Markets (CGM) business using a variety of complementary techniques.
* Facilitates the rigorous identification and documentation of EPIC hypothesis statements, features, user stories, and business requirements by leading business resources through a variety of activities including:
+ Proactively elicits information through interviews, data analysis, competitive analysis, document analysis, need and gap assessments workshops, surveys, business analysis and workflow analysis.
+ Critically evaluates information gathered from multiple sources, reconciles conflicts, decomposes high-level information into details, abstracts up from low-level information to a general understanding, and distinguishes business user requests from the underlying business needs to establish minimal viable products and services for clients.
+ Performs proxy product owner roles as appropriate.
+ Translates business needs into business and functional requirements in a complete, correct and clearly understood format to be shared with both business and technical stakeholders.
+ Understands foundational financial concepts (payback period, benefit realization) and system development life cycle (SDLC).
+ Coordinates and performs the prioritization, validation of feature, user stories and acceptance criteria.
+ Serves as an influencer across business and technical areas. Uses effective negotiation skills to gain consensus.
* Ongoing development of industry expertise by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, benchmarking state-of-the-art practices, and participating in professional societies, and applying this knowledge to the job.
+ Peer-to-peer training/sharing of ideas, techniques, etc., developed from ongoing studies and previous experiences.
+ Provides direct mentoring/coaching to BAs, as well as to others with similar roles in the Guardian organization.
* Supports critical business Compliance and Risk initiatives.
This position reports to the Business Analysis Manager, who, in turn, reports to the Director, Business Analyst Practice
Decision Making: The ability to make the most appropriate solution recommendation to the customer.
* Validates, refines and optimizes solution option models.
* Through analysis of options, selects the option with the greatest business benefit.
* Forms recommendations, with justification, to the decision-making authority.
Industry Knowledge and Expertise: The ability to identify industry trends, risks and opportunities.
* Applies general industry knowledge to the benefit of the business.
* Actively researches competitors and markets.
* Describes current “best practice” within their area of expertise.
Communication and Facilitation: The ability to match content, style and language to suit the audience and context.
* Selects the appropriate communication method to ensure messages are understood.
* Varies style and content to suit the audience.
* Communicates difficult issues concisely and effectively at all levels within the organization.
* Listens to the views of others, is responsive and checks understanding.
Innovation: The ability to identify and develop solutions which deliver better business results.
* Has vision, sees the end goal.
* Thinks laterally, explores many options to solve a problem.
* Learns from experience, seeks advice when unsure.
* Is creative within the constraints of the business - doesn't impose artificial constraints.
Leadership Behaviors: Achieving superior results
* Leading transformational change.
* Earns trust and confidence.
* Delivering long-term value.
* 5 plus years of experience in Insurance and/or Financial Services (Commercial/Retail Banking and/or Capital Markets) with 3-5 years of experience in a business analyst role or similar position.
* 3-5 years of experience working as part of multi-disciplinary teams using Agile methodologies.
* High proficiency in use of Office 365
* Bachelor’s Degree Required
* MBA preferred
* Less than 20% travel is required
* Ability to work remotely
* Medical, dental, vision, and prescription plans
* Competitive salary
* Attractive vacation time offered
* Sick time and Holiday pay offered
* Paid parental leave and backup family care
* Life and disability insurance
* Tuition assistance program
* Wellness discounts
Social responsibility is part of our mission. It stems from our corporate values of putting people first, doing the right thing, and holding ourselves to high standards. As a company and as employees, we are engaged in a variety of initiatives such as volunteering within our local communities, educational alliances with colleges, focusing on sustainability, and promoting diversity and inclusion.
Every day, Guardian gives 26 million Americans the security they deserve through our insurance and wealth management products and services. Since our founding in 1860, our long-term view has helped our customers prepare for whatever life brings whether starting a family, planning for the future or taking care of employees. Today, we’re a Fortune 250 mutual company and a leading provider of life, disability and other benefits for individuals, at the workplace and through government sponsored programs. The Guardian community of ~9000 employees and our network of over 2750 financial representatives is committed to serving with expertise when, where and how our clients need us. Our commitments rest on a strong financial foundation, which at year-end 2017 included $8.0 billion in capital and $1.6 billion in operating income. For more information, please visit guardianlife.com or follow us on Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and YouTube.
Guardian® is a registered trademark of the Guardian Life Insurance Company of America.
Guardian is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, creed, religion, sex, affectional or sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, marital status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other classification protected by applicable law.