Company Description: The City of Pittsfield is the cultural, commercial, legal, and medical center of the Berkshires – a region renowned for its wonderful people, outstanding standard of living, beautiful landscapes, and the finest in cultural and recreational attractions.
We are an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer committed to promoting a multicultural work force, excellence in public service, and on-going mutual respect in our working relationships. Minorities are encouraged to apply.
To apply for any job, please visit our careers page:
Highway Maintenance Craftsperson I
To Commensurate With Experience
The City of Pittsfield’s Department of Public Services seeks a qualified individual to fill the position of Highway Maintenance Craftsperson. The Craftsperson operates any piece of motor driven equipment including trucks with a rated capacity over 9 tons, backhoes, front end loaders, and other specialized equipment required in public utility construction and maintenance. The operation of such equipment will fall under duties assigned including but not limited to: storm water systems and street system maintenance, excavation, road construction and maintenance, snow and ice removal, salting/sanding, ground maintenance, and related public works maintenance tasks. In addition, the Craftsperson will perform daily servicing and maintenance on equipment assigned that may include incidental related welding, and will work and direct other employees at a lesser skill level.
• Performs labor duties in the construction, maintenance, and repair of streets, highways, bridges, and related traffic control systems, including incidental facility maintenance & general public works related duties
• Performs maintenance duties operating heavy dump trucks, backhoes, loaders, specialized road construction & maintenance equipment, stripers & mowers and other grounds or tree maintenance equipment
• Performs daily servicing & maintenance on equipment assigned, including incidental related welding
• Works with contractors during construction or excavation on streets, bridges, sidewalks, driveways etc
• Works with & directs employees of lesser skill levels in maintenance of streets & highways and related buildings & structures
• Performs other duties as assigned
• High school diploma or equivalent
• Two years of acceptable experience operating heavy equipment such as trucks, snowplows, loader/backhoes, bulldozers, loaders or other hydraulic equipment of a type to be used in the performance of tasks assigned
• Two years acceptable experience as a construction journeyman or equivalent in street construction or general contracting industry.
• Strong working knowledge of construction methods, techniques, equipment, materials and safety practices used in a Public Services Department
• Ability to climb ladders and enter manholes, access ways & underground vaults, walk long distances over uneven terrain, lift 50 lbs. from ground to chest height in a standing position, and work outdoors during all seasons
• At minimum, shall hold a valid Class B CDL with air brake and tanker endorsements, and a hoisting license Class 1C (telescoping booms without cables), Class 2B (backhoe and front-end loaders), Class 4E (catch basin cleaner) and Class 4G (specialty lawn mower). All licenses suitable for use in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
• Ability to interact with people on an up-beat and friendly basis regardless of circumstances
Monday-Friday, 7:30AM - 4:00PM
(Incumbent shall be required to work any time during the 24 hour day to respond to weather related/emergency needs)
ANNUAL SALARY: $35,285 - $46,040
Applications accepted until position is filled.
For full job description and to apply, please visit our careers page,