Company Description: MASS MoCA is one of the world's liveliest (and largest) centers for making and enjoying today's most important art, music, dance, theater, film, and video. Hundreds of works of visual and performing art have been created on its 19th-century factory campus during fabrication and rehearsal residencies, making MASS MoCA among the most productive sites in the country for the creation and presentation of new art. More platform than box, MASS MoCA strives to bring to its audiences art experiences that are fresh, engaging, and transformative.
Gallery Attendant (Part-Time)
High School or Equivalent
Seasonal Gallery Attendant
p/t 20 - 29 hrs/week
Background: Two of MASS MoCA’s installations in Building 6 / The Robert W. Wilson Building feature interactive works by James Turrell and Laurie Anderson. The James Turrell retrospective features nine installations that elevate visitor experience and perception of light and space. Installations range in scale, degree of visibility, group size capacity, and length of time required for engagement. Multimedia artist Laurie Anderson has designed two interactive elements that use virtual reality.
General Duties: Gallery Attendants are responsible for managing the Waitwhile line management and reservation system for the Special Exhibitions, which include- but are not limited to- the James Turrell and Laurie Anderson experiences. Gallery attendants act as a liaison to the exhibits and assist with visitor services, including scheduling and customer relations. Gallery Attendants may be scheduled to assist with any additional public facing resource needs that arise. The success of this position is contingent on positive engagement with our donors, visitors, and peers.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Greeting and orienting individual visitors and groups to the installations
• Controlling visitor flow into the spaces and ensuring efficient crowd control and line management
• Overseeing the wait-list app for these spaces
• Delivering excellent customer service in a responsive manner, ensuring easy and safe entrance and exit to the installations
• Managing daily equipment needs, troubleshooting problems as they arise
• Providing information to and helping visitors engage with the exhibition
The candidate will have:
• An outgoing, positive personality and a knack for connecting with people of many backgrounds
• An ability to regularly work on holidays and weekends
• An ability to stand and/or walk for extended periods of time
• Tech savvy skills
• An ability to make quick decisions and adapt to changing environments
• A determination to be punctual and reliable
Schedule correlates to the museum’s seasonal hours, with required special events shifts that are scheduled at least two weeks in advance.
If you are mission-driven, love the arts, and take pride in working hard with a dedicated team, we hope you find a position at MASS MoCA, that fits your skills and experience. Apply in person by visiting our front desk during museum hours, or send a resume and cover letter with the title of the position in the subject line to email@example.com.
MASS MoCA is an equal opportunity employer and seeks diversity in its workforce. Retirees are encouraged to apply. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only candidates chosen for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
Employment at MASS MoCA is contingent on the verification of background information submitted by the applicant, including the completion of a criminal record check/CORI check.