Company Description: Laurin Publishing currently maintains a staff of 50 employees at its headquarters in Pittsfield, Mass. and at its editorial and sales branch offices. The company also includes several contributing editors located around the world and an editorial advisory board of over 25 leaders in the photonics industry.
Since its founding in 1954, the company has adhered to a philosophy of editorial quality and integrity that ensures that advertisers reach the largest number of loyal readers. Because of this philosophy, the company has maintained an international reputation for leadership in Photonics.
Over the past five decades Laurin Publishing has fostered a tradition of innovation that has defined the industry. As our publications grew — following the technology into an ever widening range of applications — it became evident that the fields of optics, lasers, imaging, fiber optics, electro-optics and photonics component manufacturing had become so interrelated that a unifying name was needed. Thus was born the term
Photonics Media, the pre-eminent publisher of b-to-b magazines in the photonics industry, is seeking an experienced, detail-oriented Managing Editor. Primary responsibilities include oversight of daily editorial operations and workflow, collaboration with senior editors to ensure content conforms to rigorous standards of quality, thoroughness, clarity, and accuracy, and oversight of production workflows for print, online and digital media. A proven self-starter, the successful candidate will possess a minimum of 5-7 years of relevant experience, exceptional organizational skills, and a thorough knowledge of grammar and style.
• Control editorial schedules and enforce deadlines.
• Conduct final editing of feature stories for Photonics Media’s print, digital and online publications.
• Supervise the copy desk.
• Ensure internal processes are up to date and effective.
• Hire, coach, and supervise staff.
• Collaborate with other departments to meet production deadlines.
• Coordinate editorial staff meetings and training.
• Create policies and procedures for each print, digital, and online publication.
• Oversee development and execution of special sections.
• Review incoming articles for appropriateness, thoroughness, use of language, clarity, accuracy, sensitivity, and organization, and suggest improvements or questions for the writer.
• Oversee policies and protocols related to digital and online content.
• Manage the handling, signing, and filing of copyright transfer agreements.
• Serve as a primary liaison with the graphics department.
• Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, English or a related field required.
• 5 - 7 years of successful journalism experience with supervision of employees required, either at a consumer magazine, trade magazine, B2B publication, newspaper or online publication.
• Knowledge of or study in photonics or a related scientific field is a plus, but is not required; however, applicants with no background must be willing to learn about the technology.
• Proficient use of Microsoft Office software including Word, Excel and Outlook required.
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills required, both written and oral, as well as problem- solving abilities.
• Ability to plan and organize the work of others; ability to delegate; ability to manage project/activity deadlines of self and others.
• Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, and rules of composition and grammar.
• Must be organized, efficient, detail-oriented, and capable of managing multiple projects and tasks with aggressive deadlines and have strong time-management skills.
• Commitment to the company’s culture and quality service standards.
• Ability to effectively and professionally interact with clients, other employees, supervisors, and senior management of the company.
• Prolonged periods of sitting. Prolonged periods of computer/keyboard use.