Company Description: Laurin Publishing currently maintains a staff of 50 employees at its headquarters in Pittsfield, Mass. and at its editorial and sales branch offices. The company also includes several contributing editors located around the world and an editorial advisory board of over 25 leaders in the photonics industry.
Since its founding in 1954, the company has adhered to a philosophy of editorial quality and integrity that ensures that advertisers reach the largest number of loyal readers. Because of this philosophy, the company has maintained an international reputation for leadership in Photonics.
Over the past five decades Laurin Publishing has fostered a tradition of innovation that has defined the industry. As our publications grew — following the technology into an ever widening range of applications — it became evident that the fields of optics, lasers, imaging, fiber optics, electro-optics and photonics component manufacturing had become so interrelated that a unifying name was needed. Thus was born the term
Photonics Media, the pre-eminent publisher of b-to-b magazines in the photonics industry, has an exciting opportunity for an accomplished journalist and editor to join its editorial team. As a Senior Editor, you’ll be responsible for producing top-quality content for the company’s print and online platforms, including the company’s flagship magazine, Photonics Spectra. Duties include compiling, writing, editing, and proofreading highly technical, photonics industry-related news and feature stories, in conformance with company and Associated Press style standards. Must possess the ability to multitask and work under tight deadlines and a willingness to travel. Position is based in the company’s headquarters in Pittsfield, MA.
Essential Job Functions:
• Research, write, compile, copy edit and/or proofread features, news, columns, and other copy as assigned, following Laurin Publishing and AP Style standards. This may include conducting effective and professional interviews with highly knowledgeable sources, including academic researchers and CEOs, and performing industry research in technical scientific topics; including relevant images from sources and providing links to sources for all items as applicable.
• Compile and edit tech news for all publications according to publication format and schedule.
• Research and write back-page articles for print publications as required.
• Write feature articles and special sections as assigned.
• Process materials for features and other contributed content from outside authors, including printing backup and processing keywords, comp copy requests, cover sheets and images, etc.
• Update databases, indexes and files as needed.
Other Job Functions:
• Miscellaneous editorial work as assigned, including but not limited to: sending email correspondence with general editorial inquires, processing images, and maintaining email press boxes as needed.
• Assist with other duties and projects as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, English, or a related field.
• Master’s degree preferred.
• Demonstrated experience in journalism and/or editing, with a minimum of 5 years’ experience.
• Knowledge of or study in photonics or a related scientific field is a plus.
• Proficient use of Microsoft Office software, including Word, Excel and Outlook.
• Experience with internet and library research as well as reference sources and familiarity with (or ability to learn) AP Stylebook; Adobe Photoshop helpful.
• Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language, including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills required, both written and oral.
• Must be organized, efficient, attentive to detail, and able to manage multiple projects and tasks with aggressive deadlines.
• Commitment to the company’s culture and quality service standards.
• Ability to effectively utilize all general office equipment, answer the telephone, take direction, and professionally interact with clients, industry leaders and participants, other employees, supervisors, and senior management of the company via email, in person and by phone.
• Prolonged periods of sitting and computer/keyboard use. Must be able to read, write/edit, and perform repetitive tasks at a desk for extended periods.
• Ability to travel, including by plane, domestically and internationally up to 15 days per year.