880 Main Street
Company Description: The power and value of the Williams network is legendary. Members of the Williams community share instant recognition of a common experience and a desire to support one another. Whether seeking career advice, contemplating a career transition or exploring a new direction, we invite you to tap into the strength of the Williams alumni community.
To Commensurate With Experience
Chemistry Department and Biochemistry & Molecular Biology Program
We are pleased to announce a full-time (40 hrs/wk) academic year (9-month) position as a Technical Assistant in the Chemistry Department and the Biochemistry & Molecular Biology (BIMO) Program. This position reports to the Chair of Chemistry and will work in close association with faculty members and other support staff. The Technical Assistant will have responsibility for the operation and maintenance of the biochemistry laboratories and will share responsibility for the general chemistry laboratories and departmental demonstration room.
Williams welcomes applications from candidates committed to supporting an increasingly diverse staff. Applicants should highlight in the cover letter relevant experience with building, working with, and supporting a broadly diverse staff.
• Order supplies, prepare solutions, and setup laboratories and equipment for biochemistry (BIMO 321 and 322), biophysical chemistry, and laboratories for other BIMO Program elective courses as needed.
• Prepare reagents, student samples, and setup of equipment (which include UV-visible and infrared spectrophotometers, pH meters, and analytical balances) for introductory chemistry laboratory experiments.
• Oversee chemical inventory and handling of chemical waste for these laboratories/courses.
• Responsible for basic maintenance and upkeep of laboratory classrooms as assigned.
• Maintenance and setup of lecture demonstrations for both classroom and outreach activities.
• Bachelor's degree in biochemistry or chemistry and a minimum of two years' experience in a biochemistry or chemistry laboratory are preferred, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
• Excellent communication and organizational skills
• Ability to interact and work cooperatively with department faculty and co-workers, providing technical support as needed
• Ability to work independently and budget time efficiently with minimal supervision is essential
• Flexibility to take on additional responsibilities and the willingness to learn new skills to fulfill the changing needs of the department
• Experience with computers, word processing, and spreadsheet software is expected
• Facility with troubleshooting chemical instrumentation and in exploring and developing new chemical demonstrations is particularly desirable
For optimal consideration, please submit resume materials by July 1, 2018. Review of resumes will continue until the position is filled.
Employment at Williams is contingent on the verification of background information submitted by the applicant, including the completion of a criminal record check, and education when applicable.
To apply for this position, please visit http://employment.williams.edu/staff/. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us via phone at (413) 597-4247 or email at email@example.com.
Beyond meeting fully its legal obligations for non-discrimination, Williams College is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community where members from all backgrounds can live, learn and thrive.