Company Description: Darrow School, an independent, co-ed, boarding and day school for grades 9-12, located on the New York State side of the Berkshires, offers a comprehensive and individually focused college-preparatory curriculum that features a unique combination of classroom instruction, experiential learning, and environmental consciousness. Students learn within an atmosphere that supports the pursuit of intellectual curiosity, individual creativity, and the joy of learning. The School has been recognized as a pioneer in the field of “hands-on learning,” and Darrow teachers use real-world topics and a dynamic
approach to make the subject matter come alive. Darrow School’s mission is dedicated to serving students with a wide variety of backgrounds and abilities, building on each student’s individual talents and interests to inspire enduring confidence for success in college and life.
Darrow School is located on 325 acres in the Town of New Lebanon, and comprised of 21 buildings, 16 of which are Shaker-built and designated as Registered National Historic Landmark buildings.
Darrow School does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, age, color, national or ethnic origin, gender, or sexual orientation, in the administration of any of its employment practices, admissions policies, scholarship and loan programs, educational, athletic, recreational, and other school-administered programs.
Darrow School is an equal opportunity employer boasting a beautiful work setting and a supportive community environment.
Custodian (part time)
High School or Equivalent
Performs routine custodial and maintenance tasks to ensure clean working and living environment for students, staff and visitors, ensuring all areas are clean and safe. Part Time 24-30 hours per week; flexible scheduling.
- Position requires proficiencies for the following custodial and maintenance tasks: mopping floors, cleaning bathrooms, vacuuming and dusting.
- Work efficiently with custodial equipment and materials, including but not limited to: back pack vacuums, canister vacuums, buffers and cleaners.
- Ability to utilize various products and cleaning supplies safely and as instructed.
- Must be able to lift 40 lbs. of weight safely and consistently
- Assist with manual snow removal from walkways and steps
- Able to work off a six foot ladder
- Perform occasional maintenance duties including prepping and paintings.
- Remove waste and recycling products
- Assist with set-up and arrangement for a variety of activities (concerts, weddings, event weekends).
- Other cleaning duties associated with general custodial work.
Non-Technical Areas of Responsibilities
- Communicate operative needs to Director of Facilities
- Track and fulfill work orders
- Keep written records as required
- Maintain supplies and request supplies for needs of work areas
- Knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions for cleaning products
- Ability to work independently and with others in a team environment
- Ability to communicate and work effectively with a variety of members of the community, including teachers, administrators, trustees, parents, and students.
- The position can require walking around campus and through buildings
- The position may require lifting and carrying objects weighing up to 40 pounds.
- Ability to work outdoors
- Valid driver’s license
- High School diploma or equivalent
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential responsibilities of this position.
- While performing the duties the employee is regularly required to talk or hear
- The employee is required to sit, stand, walk, use hands and arms
- Bend, reach, stoop, stand and/or walk for extended periods of time
- Climb ladders
- Must frequently lift and/or move up to 40 pounds
- Must be able to work in heat and cold as well as environments with adverse conditions including dirt, dust and pollen, odors, sun, wetness, humidity, rain and noise