Company Description: The mission of the North Adams Public Schools is to provide all students with the values, knowledge, and skills needed to reach their full potential, with the ultimate goal of becoming lifelong learners and productive members of the 21st Century.
As a district, we are committed to providing a safe environment in which all individuals embrace the core values of diversity, inclusiveness, shared community responsibility, breadth of learning, and continuous growth and improvement.
Permanent Daily Substitute Teacher
This position is located at Brayton Elementary School in the North Adams Public Schools District and is for the school year only. This position is for 6 hours per day and for 5 days per week. The permanent substitute will be expected to report every day that school is in session. The daily assignment will vary depending on the need for substitutes. The principal or designee will make the daily assignment to the permanent substitute.
Job Goal: Responsible for instructing students in a school setting, including special education classes. Assumes responsibility of all aspects of classroom instruction, assessments and behavior management. Implements teacher created lesson plans or works collaboratively with a team of educators to generate lesson plans, providing differentiated strategies to instruct students at all levels in all content areas.
Supervision: Reports to Building Principal.
1. Improvises lessons in emergency situations where the teacher is unable to provide detailed lesson plans
2. Plans, prepares and delivers appropriate curriculum content to students
3. Establishes and communicates clear objectives for all learning activities
4. Uses the curriculum of the district to plan daily instructional activities
5. Deliver intervention services to all students based on the specific goals and objectives established by North Adams Public Schools and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
6. Remains current in best practices for instructional delivery, assessment and behavior management
7. Assesses student learning using multiple tools on an ongoing basis and alters instruction to meet group/individual needs
8. Creates positive educational climate for students
9. Possesses a working knowledge of the MA Curriculum Frameworks Standards and available state and local resources
10. Maintains order within the classroom setting in accordance with division guidelines regarding student behavior management
11. Collaborates with other faculty in planning and delivering instruction to students
12. Communicates regularly with parents, administration, and other staff as needed
13. Incorporates and models appropriate use of technology to support instruction and student learning
14. Ensures compliance with existing applicable federal and state statutes and local policies, regulations and guidelines related to public schools
15. Demonstrates commitment to improving professional competence
16. Performs other related duties as required.
The Committee's policy of nondiscrimination will extend to students, staff, the general public, and individuals with whom it does business; No person shall be excluded from or discriminated against in admission to a public school of any town or in obtaining the advantages, privileges, and courses of study of such public school on account of age, race, color, sex, gender identity, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, disability or homelessness.
Must be flexible and willing to adapt to change on short notice, extensive knowledge of the concepts, principles, methodologies and current research-based practices in the area of elementary education. Considerable knowledge of MA curriculum frameworks, standards and available state and local resources. Working skill in the use of media and technology to support job functions. Demonstrate ability: to assess, monitor and use data to differentiate instruction; to organize, schedule and monitor. A Bachelor’s Degree is required and preference will be given to Licensed Educators.
Physical Requirements: The position requires a moderate amount of walking, standing, sitting and climbing stairs and step stool whenever necessary. Activities also include moderate physical exertion in body movement such as reaching, bending, twisting, grasping, pushing, and pulling of objects. The position requires lifting objects of 20 pounds on a frequent basis, and over 20 pounds occasionally. There is a frequent requirement of fine manipulation associated with the required use of a computer, typewriter, keyboard, calculator, and other business machines.
Environmental Conditions: The occupant is required to work indoors. The regular chemical solvents are toners, inks, and cleaning fluids.
Start date: Upon appointment. Posting will remain until filled.