The Administrative Assistant for the Department of Public Works provides administrative and clerical support including financial and record-keeping work for the successful operation of the Department of Public Works.
Under the general supervision of the DPW Superintendent, the employee is familiar with the work routine and uses initiative in carrying out recurring assignments independently with specific instruction from Division Supervisors and Department of Public Works Board.
MAJOR DUTIES (essential job functions)
• Supports department financials, ie: payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable, reconciles the
budget, water and sewer usage billing, processes invoices.
• Perform a wide range of clerical office support duties including word processing, filing, and copying documents
• Assists in bid preparation
• Responsible for the creation and maintenance of sewer utility billing and the posting of all sewer usage payments. Maintains water and sewer date base, bills costumers quarterly.
• Provide assistance to property owners on connecting to the municipal water and sewer system and answering questions on water and sewer usage billing
• Provide information regarding department practices and regulations to the public as requested
• Prepares and posts agendas for the Board of Public Works meetings and prepares appropriate
materials. Attends all BPW meetings, records minutes and completes directives issued at meetings.
• Frequently answers phone calls and emails from the general public and vendors concerning DPW
policies, procedures, rules, regulations, and complaints. Follows up with the appropriate supervisors and parties on inquiries and complaints.
• Manges all day-to-day activities of the DPW office. Types notices, memos, reports and correspondences for the Superintendent and Division Supervisors as needed.
• Sorts and reviews mail
• Invoices, collects and accounts for money received for department divisions
• Issues permits for sludge disposal, drain layers, and cemetery monuments
• Distributes and tracks sales on composting and recycling bins
• Purchases supplies and equipment for the department
• Schedules events in the parks such as sporting events and birthdays. Prepares bids and schedules
vendors and equipment for various locations.
• Assists with any other departmental work as needed
While performing the duties of this job, work is often performed under typical office conditions with little exposure to occupational hazards. Makes frequent contact with, the general public, all town departments and relevant Town, State and Federal officials and agencies.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit; stand; walk; use hands and fingers to handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls; and reach with hands and arms. Tasks require the ability to exert light physical effort in sedentary to light work, which regularly may involve some movement of books, files, folders (15 pounds); Regularly conveys information to the public. Tasks may involve extended periods of time at a keyboard or workstation.
POSITION TYPE/EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK
This is a full-time 35 hour a week position located in Lee Town Hall. Days and hours of work are roughly Monday/Wednesday 8:30am – 4:00pm; Tuesday/Thursday 8:30am – 5:30pm; Friday 8:30am – 12:30pm
RECOMMENDED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
• Degree in Accounting, Business, or related field preferred
• Minimum of two (2) years of professional administrative experience, preferably in the municipal field.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITY AND SKILL
Knowledge: Working knowledge of office practices and procedures; general knowledge of department operations, policies and procedures; familiarity with municipal government, procurement and public contracting law and procedures.
Ability: Ability to express oneself clearly and concisely orally and in writing. Must be able to develop working relationships with other town department personnel and the general public. Able to keep accurate and detailed records.
Skill: Skill in operating computers and related software. Must possess skill in word processing and spreadsheet applications. Strong organizational skills and attention to detail is a must.