Certified Medical Assistant Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Welcome and escort patients to exam room; prepare patient for visit; accurately obtain and record patient’s vital signs; perform patient intake to assist provider in directing patient care per written protocol; assist providers with exams, diagnostic or therapeutic procedures, as requested; direct patient following the visit.
- May perform EKG’s on selected patients; prepare laboratory requests and ensure accurate labels and records on all specimens; deliver specimens to designated area; retrieve lab results and x-ray reports; clean and restock exams rooms following a visit as needed.
- Vaccine administration (only if CMA) and Maintain Professional Certification/Registration.
- Change/update service profiles to accommodate providers scheduling needs; answer, screen, and route outside calls as necessary; supply information to callers and record messages; perform clerical duties as requested; communicate with outside agencies as directed by provider.
- Answer patient calls/messages to ensure timely response to their issues/inquiries; pre-register patient at time of appointment scheduling; accurately obtain information to ensure patient is appropriately triaged per protocol; ensure follow up booking required by patient care plan; cross train to provide backup patient services and reception duties.
- Have clinical protocols/competencies reviewed yearly by supervising RN or clinical trainer; maintain CPR certification.
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Ability to interact with others with tact and diplomacy; treat others with respect and consideration regardless of status or position; contribute to a positive team spirit; balance team and individual responsibilities; display highest degree of professionalism and ethics.
- Respond appropriately to patient needs; manage difficult or emotional patient situations in a way that instills trust and respect; solicit feedback to improve performance.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities; work well under pressure; complete tasks correctly and on time with limited supervision; step in, when needed, and cross train for additional site coverage; respond promptly to requests for service and assistance; confidence in leading and instructing others; ability to delegate effectively.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one or small group situations; respond well to questions; complete administrative duties accurately and timely.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts; solve practical problems; interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
- Punctual and reliable; ability to maintain schedule commitments.
- Spanish speaking/bilingual is a plus.
Essential Skills and Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- High school or equivalent – completion of accredited Certified Medical Assistant program.
- Medical office experience is a plus as well as electronic medical records experience.
- Massachusetts Certified Medical Assistant Certification is required.