Company Description: The mission of the Northern Berkshire Community Coalition is "Empowering the Northern Berkshire region to enhance the quality of life through our efforts at connecting, convening, and supporting all facets of the community." For the past 33 years the nbCC has brought people together and worked with the community to create programs that address local issues.
Additional Business Name: Northern Berkshire Community Coalition
Tree Initiative Coordinator (Temporary)
Temporary – Part Time
Some High School Coursework
Length of position: March 1 - June 30, 2021
Reports to: Executive Director
Hours: .6 FTE [25 hours]
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Responsibilities: (include but are not limited to)
• Responsible for the nbCC Tree Initiative:
o Implementation of the Tree Initiative in collaboration with the City of North Adams and the Franklin Land Trust.
o Supporting the growth of a “tree network” in north Berkshire.
o Networking with other tree initiatives within Western Mass.
o Coordinating with the City of North Adams, DCR, and the Franklin Land Trust
o Recruiting local North Adams residents and businesses to plant trees
o Supervising interns and volunteers, when applicable
o Promoting and providing education regarding the benefits of trees and responsible tree care.
o Convening volunteers and training volunteers to support the planting of trees.
• Note taking, record keeping, and report writing for nbCC and the Tree Initiative Grant
• Writing short articles or updates regarding the Tree Initiative for publications, newsletters, social media, etc.
• Working with the team at nbCC to promote the work of the Coalition in the community and with community members
• Providing support to the nbCC team, as needed or required, for other nbCC events, activities, and programs.
• High School Diploma or equivalent
• Volunteer or work experience in human services or environmental work preferred.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Supports a work environment that is responsive and sensitive to the needs of diverse community members.
• Must have a positive attitude and be open to changing environments.
• Cultural competence; must be outgoing and feel comfortable working in diverse communities and groups.
• Ability to and comfort with working in a team environment.
• Valid driver’s license and insured automobile. Ability and willingness to drive in inclement weather and in rural locations in the northern Berkshire region, as well as attend trainings and mandatory meetings as required by funders.
• This is an active role, including but not limited to the following activities: lifting and carrying heavy objects and materials on site and in the community at a variety of locations.
• Functions within flexible work schedule (including but not limited to days, evenings and weekends) as assigned by site and supervisor and as required by the job.