Company Description: The mission of Berkshire Housing is to improve the quality of life in Berkshire County by increasing affordable housing opportunities, and to provide professional property management.
Occupancy Specialist - will train
Some High School Coursework
BH will Train - The Occupancy Specialist will be responsible to and supervised directly by the Occupancy Specialist Supervisor who will assign specific programs and/or projects to the Occupancy Specialist. The Occupancy Specialist will be responsible for and assist in the daily administration of various leased housing programs/projects for Berkshire Housing Services, Inc. It is essential that the Occupancy Specialist keep current with all changes in the rules and regulations of leased housing programs administered by Berkshire Housing Services, Inc.
General responsibilities are as outlined below:
1. APPLICATIONS AND WAITING LISTS.
Accept applications and determine eligibility or ineligibility for all leased housing programs/projects, maintain waiting list for leased housing programs/projects; develop a full understanding of the waiting list including data entry and all subsequent updating.
2. CLIENT SERVICE.
Explain program eligibility requirements, regulatory and procedural information, apartment availability and waiting list procedures to potential and existing clients. Be responsive and timely to questions and concerns raised. Make referrals for other programs and services to appropriate staff or outside agencies.
3. LEASING FUNCTIONS.
Perform all leasing activities in accordance with Berkshire Housing Services, Inc. policies and procedures; prepare all required documents for signatures, arrange for appointments; monitor, prepare and submit reports as requested, set up unit showings; perform move-in, annual and interim income recertifications; process rent increases; initiate and coordinate rent-up procedures for assigned properties; calculate tenants' rent; approve or reject applicants, perform all applicant screenings based on Tenant Selection Plans; coordinate apartment availability with property managers and/or resident managers, track and monitor vacancies; complete unit transfer certifications, understand and comply with 504 Reasonable Accommodation rules, monitor and sustain property/building compliance at all times .
4. MARKETING PROGRAMS.
Assist in developing marketing programs to reduce vacancy loss. Develop specific project plans for properties experiencing a greater than 5% vacancy loss. Become familiar with and visit sites, conduct open houses and informational sessions. Review all phone, email and internet inquiries and follow-up accordingly with each.
5. GAIN A COMPLETE UNDERSTANDING OF COMPUTER SOFTWARE PROGRAMS USED FOR THE VARIOUS PROGRAMS.
6. SUBMIT ALL REQUIRED VOUCHERS TO HUD OR MHFA UTILIZING SECURE SYSTEMS; DEVELOP COMPLETE UNDERSTANDING OF, SECURE SYSTEMS, THE VOUCHER PROCESS & VOUCHER RECONCILLIATION. PROCESS VACANCY CLAIMS.
7. PERFORM PEER AUDITS OF ALL TENANT MOVE INS, RECERTIFICATIONS, INTERIM RECERTIFICATIONS.
8. PROCESS ALL NEEDED AUDIT PAPERWORK & CORRECTIONS.ENSURE BERKSHIRE HOUSING SERVICES PROGRAMS/PROJECTS ARE IN COMPLIANCE WITH ALL FUNDING SOURCES BY MAINTING COMPLIANCE DATA & RESPONDING & PREPARING EXTERNAL AUDIT INQUIRES.
9. DEVELOP AN UNDERSTANDING AND WORKING RELATIONSHIP WITH ALL
10. OBTAIN CERTIFIED OCCUPANCY SPECIALIST DESIGNATION AND TAX CREDIT SPECIALIST DESIGNATION WITHIN ONE YEAR.
11. ATTEND MEETINGS AND SEMINARS AS REQUIRED.
12. ASSIST AS NECESSARY WITH ANY OTHER RELATED JOB FUNCTIONS.
The Occupancy Specialist must develop an understanding of the relationship this position has to the overall objectives of the company and individual owners (i.e. vacancies, late recertifications). This position may include all other job functions normally associated with a position of this type in the housing management industry.
• High School Diploma; Associates Degree Preferred
• Prior human service experience
• Valid Driver’s License
• Reliable Transportation to Out of Town Seminars & Trainings
• Working Knowledge of Microsoft Word & Excel
• Basic Internet Understanding
• Prior Multi-task Office Environment Experience
• Excellent Verbal and Written Communication Skills
• Bilingual (Spanish and English) preferred