Company Description: Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts (MCLA) is a dynamic and vibrant four-year public college located in the beautiful Berkshire Hills of Western Massachusetts. Founded in 1894, MCLA is the Commonwealth's public liberal arts college of the Massachusetts State University System. MCLA is a member of the Council of Public Liberal Arts Colleges (COPLAC), a national consortium positioned at the forefront of the conversation on the value of a liberal arts education. MCLA was named one of U.S. News and World Report's Top Public Schools in 2018.
The Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts invites applications for a temporary full-time staff Technical Director (TD), beginning January 19, 2021 and going through May 7, 2021.
The TD primarily serves the Department of Fine and Performing Arts' Theatre program. Duties include executing, as well as overseeing students in the successful and safe execution of scenery elements for all Theatre productions. Additional responsibilities include providing support for students working in lighting, sound, and projections.
This position is also in charge of management of the Theatre program scene shop. Shop responsibilities include: oversee and execute implementation of scenery/props construction and scenic painting; maintain and improve equipment; supervise student scene shop work-study employees; supervise practicum students during builds, strikes, and other technical activities; provide robust, up-to-date safety oversight for production season; coordinate spending with Department Administrator to ensure Chair-approved production budgets are not exceeded.
* BA in Theatre with five+ years professional production experience required; MFA in Technical Direction preferred.
* The ideal candidate will have working knowledge of emerging technologies in technical direction, including experience in carpentry, welding, rigging, and scenic painting.
* Demonstrated mastery of scenic and properties construction.
* Basic knowledge of lighting, sound and projection fields.
* Experience facilitating production processes and managing budgets is highly desirable.
Additional desired qualifications:
* Strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
* Ability to collaborate and problem solve.
* Ability to work effectively with fine and performing arts faculty, staff, students and guest artists.
* Ability to manage the production process.
Non-standard work schedule including evenings and weekends. Ability to lift 50 lbs.
Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination and affirmative action in its educational programs, activities and employment practices. The college complies with all federal, state, and local laws and regulations advancing equal employment. Applicants who will enrich the diversity of the campus community are strongly encouraged to apply. Visit www.mcla.edu.
This is a benefited position in the APA bargaining unit. Salary for this position is $1282.05 per week.