Freel Library at MCLA seeks an engaged and service-oriented Evening and Weekend Circulation Assistant who enjoys working with students and collaborating with others on varied projects. This part-time position provides general library assistance to students, faculty, and staff during evening and weekend hours, including circulation, reserves, and basic information services; creates a welcoming atmosphere for MCLA's diverse community of learners; offers responsive, high-quality service; helps oversee all evening library operations and secure the library at closing; walks through and staffs library stacks floors; shelves books and retrieves holds; operates library equipment; works on on-going and special projects such as displays, library events, book repair, shelf reading, and shifting in collaboration with staff; helps supervise student library assistants when needed; and provides substitute staffing to cover staff absences when possible.
- Provides general library assistance to students, faculty, and staff during evening and weekend hours, including circulation, reserves, and basic information services.
- Works with library staff to create a welcoming and inclusive library experience for MCLA's diverse community of learners.
- Interacts with students and other library visitors in a friendly, professional manner; ensures library service is responsive to student needs and meets high standards of quality and consistency; resolves problems according to procedures and policies.
- Collaborates with the Evening Circulation Supervisor to determine workflow and make decisions about security and service; oversees all library operations and provides general security when serving as sole staff person in the library.
- Performs closing procedures, secures library equipment, and locks library doors at closing during assigned evenings.
- Walks through and staffs stacks floors to assist library visitors, check stacks conditions, and oversee library activities.
- Assists with on-going and special projects such as displays, library events, inventory, and book repair; participates in shelf reading, shifting, and other stacks maintenance activities.
- Works at the Circulation Desk to register users, check items in and out, maintain circulation and attendance records, answer telephone inquiries, and complete tasks such as shelving, holds retrieval, and van delivery processing.
- Operates and troubleshoots library equipment including printers, scanners, and microfilm readers; assists students and library visitors with use of the catalog, microfilm reader, and other library equipment.
- In absence of Reference Librarians or Reference Associates, helps visitors locate items and perform basic database searches to find information; refers students to the Reference staff for further assistance.
- Maintains knowledge of Freel Library circulation policies and resources, including the catalog and subscription databases along with other resources available to MCLA students.
- Helps supervise Student Library Assistants who work evening or weekend hours.
- Helps staff the library's extended hours during the two weeks leading up to finals each semester, working as late as 2:00 a.m.
- Helps staff the library during campus closures due to inclement weather.
- Provides substitute staffing for staff absences, when possible.
- Assists with other general library duties as requested by the Associate Dean of Library Services.