Company Description: North Adams, Massachusetts, offers an unparalleled combination of natural beauty and outdoor recreation, world class art and culture, and the entrepreneurial and innovation spirit to make the most of these resources and amenities. The City of North Adams is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to providing effective, efficient, and responsive public services to residents and visitors alike.
Assistant Director of Management Information Systems
IT Network Administrator
Microsoft A+ certification - Preference: Preferred
The assistant director of management information systems (MIS) will work under the supervision of the city’s MIS director to support, upgrade, and improve data centers, network and wireless technologies, and internet services for City Hall users, public safety departments, and all offsite functions (including public services, the public library, and the senior center, among others). The assistant director of management information systems (MIS) also will provide technical support to city staff as well as assisting in the development and support of the city’s short and long-term technology strategies.
• Installs, configures, monitors and troubleshoots the existing multi-platform network infrastructure hardware and software and its related functions, including servers, applications, email, printers, mobile messaging, desktops and laptops, telephony, and firewalls and security.
• Makes recommendations for updating existing network infrastructure as well as for implementing new systems in order to maintain optimum performance.
• Participates in IT initiatives as required including strategic planning, and hardware, software, and application testing and evaluation.
• Evaluates new hardware and software products and makes recommendations for purchase.
• Monitors and maintains standards for the network infrastructure, including software and technology updates to the Internet.
• Provides end-user training and documentation.
• Acts as liaison to hardware and software vendors for maintenance and repairs.
• Maintains a database inventory of hardware and software and its licenses, along with maintenance agreements and passwords.
• Provides on-call support.
• Performs other related duties as needed or required.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
• Bachelor’s degree in related field with at least three years prior work experience in related fields required; master’s degree in related field and five years prior experience, preferably in a municipal setting.
• Certification (e.g. Microsoft A+ certification) or significant experience in Windows server environment (including Active Directory, group policies, registry configuration, login scripts, and software publishing), Linux, and VMware strongly preferred.
• Telephony management experience, including familiarity with Cisco Unified Communications platforms highly desirable.
• Experience with backup, disaster recovery, security, and imaging services.
• Experience with developing and implementing technology policies and procedures desirable.
• Strong analytic, organizational and troubleshooting skills.
• Strong supervisory and managerial skills.
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to pass CJIS SORI, CORI and SAFIS background checks
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
The position requires a moderate amount of walking, standing, sitting, and climbing stairs whenever necessary. Activities also include moderate physical exertion in body movement such as reaching, bending, twisting, grasping, pushing, and pulling of objects. The position requires lifting objects of 40 pounds on a frequent basis, and over 40 pounds occasionally. There is a frequent requirement of fine manipulation associated with the required use of a computer, typewriter, keyboard, calculator, and other business technology.
Review of applications will begin immediately. Interested candidates are invited to submit an application along with cover letter, resume, and references to:
Michelle Ells, Office of the Mayor
10 Main Street, North Adams, MA 01247
or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
The City of North Adams, Massachusetts, is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer.