Company Description: Imagine going to work knowing that what you do each day positively affects the lives of the people in your community. Working at the Berkshire Family YMCA, you’ll discover more than a job – you’ll enjoy a career with a future and the opportunity to make a lasting difference in the lives of those around you.
Our staff members – of all ages and from diverse backgrounds and life experiences – enjoy the personal satisfaction that comes from nurturing the potential of youth and teens, improving the nation’s health and well-being and providing support to our neighbors.
If you want to work in an environment that promotes Youth Development, Healthy Living and Social Responsibility, please consider the Berkshire Family YMCA.
Full-Time Membership and Communications Associate
High School or Equivalent
CPR, Lifeguard Certification, AED, First Aid - Preference: Nice to have
Under the direct supervision of the Membership & Engagement Director in harmony with the core values of this organization and in accordance with the policies of the organization, the Member Services and Communications Associate will be directly responsible for providing the highest quality service to members and the community; answer or direct inquiries; comply with Y-USA branding standards; and support the organization’s communications efforts. A main goal of this position to the ensure consistency in membership policies between the 2 branches of the Berkshire Family YMCA.
The Member Services and Communications Associate must demonstrate a personal commitment to the mission of the YMCA. This position requires a person who must demonstrate an ability to work effectively with people by being a team player, humble and engaging. This position requires good organizational skills, strong human relation skills, general knowledge of business procedures, good communication skills (verbal and written), willingness to adapt to change and knowledge about YMCA operational procedures and programs. This person must have customer service experience, a working knowledge of operating computers, knowledgeable on excel, comfortable on social media, must be dressed according to dress code, friendly, and exhibit good health habits. The ability to establish and maintain harmonious relationship with staff, volunteers, members and community is essential. This position requires cross branch availability. The Member Services and Communications Associate is expected to complete all procedures related to the enrollment or validation of members and program participants, registering for programs, answering telephone and responding to member questions. Additionally, this person will support the communications, marketing and development/fundraising efforts of the organization by developing branded materials for the association, including print, social media, email and website content.
• Greet and assist all members, potential members and staff in a courteous, professional and friendly manner, striving for excellence. Be enthusiastic towards members by learning their names and expressing an interest in their YMCA activities. Make sure no member is left unattended.
• Respond to members' needs. Contact appropriate personnel when necessary. Direct complaints in a courteous manner. Use appropriate forms to communicate concerns or praise.
• Follow proper procedures for group memberships, Nationwide Membership and guests who come in to use the facility by properly checking them in at the Welcome Center desk. Follow guest guidelines.
• Communicate in a friendly and a courteous manner when answering phones, transferring calls, and taking messages.
• Maintain the security, cleanliness, and order of the Welcome Center desk at all times.
• Maintain organization of files, including alphabetizing.
• Responsible for following proper procedures for all business transactions and accurately
reconciling daily cash drawer.
• Ability to work independently, take initiative and pay attention to detail are essential
• Present a professional image to all employees, members, and general public. Wear lanyard with name-tag, and adhere to dress standards at all times.
• Promote membership and program enrollment, including cause-driven facility tours, volunteer opportunities, and Financial Assistance.
• Complete communications, marketing and development/fundraising tasks as assigned, including the creation of branded materials for the organization, including print, social media, email and website content.
• Attend all designated staff meetings.
• If unable to work due to sickness, vacation, etc. Responsible for contacting supervisor, finding shift coverage, and keeping supervisor posted on who will be working in your place.
The Member Services and Communications Associate will report directly to the Membership & Engagement Director. He or she will be responsible for the successful development of the membership base, quality customer service, the successful completion of all transactions and tasks during shift.
Standing for up to 8 hours per shift; walk up and down stairs; provide tours of the facility; lifting, and carrying up to 50 lbs; bending, sitting and desk work up to 8 hours per shift, including extended periods of time looking at computer monitor; working with chemicals (i.e.: glass cleaner, multipurpose cleaner, laundry detergent, etc.); wash/dry/fold laundry; and must be able to perform physical duties of the position. Required to take YMCA training in CPR, AED, First Aid, Child Abuse Prevention, Redwoods training and New Staff Orientation within 90 days of employment.
Approved additional training provided.
Busy customer service center, with moderate to heavy telephone volume, and moderate to heavy foot traffic.
• All current and otherwise qualified prospective employees, subcontractors, and volunteers must provide permission to the organization to complete a Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) search.
• This job description may not be all-inclusive and employees are expected to perform all other duties as assigned and directed by management. Job descriptions and duties may be modified when deemed appropriate by management.
Full-Time Schedule (Subject to change based on organization needs)
Wednesday: 7 – 12pm (Pittsfield Branch)
Thursday: 7 – 5pm (Pittsfield Branch)
Friday: Present to June 21 12:30 PM-9:30 PM(Northern Berkshire)
June 28-Sept. 6 8AM-4:30PM
Fall: 12:30 PM-9:30PM
Saturday: 7:45-4:15PM (NB Branch)
Sunday: Present to June 23 7:45 – 4:15pm (NB Branch)