Company Description: Bard College at Simon's Rock--The Early College--is the only college in the country specifically designed for bright, highly motivated students ready to enter college after the 10th or 11th grade. Simon's Rock offers a challenging program in the liberal arts and sciences, taught by a supportive, highly-trained faculty, composed of leading scholars in their fields. The College grants degrees in more than 35 majors. Located in Great Barrington, in the beautiful Berkshires of Western Massachusetts, the College enrolls approximately 400 students.
Overnight Campus Safety Officer
Up to One Year
Bard College at Simon's Rock is the only four-year college in the United States specifically designed to allow highly motivated adolescents to fully realize their intellectual and creative potential by beginning college immediately after the 10th or 11th grade. For over 50 years, Simon's Rock has occupied a unique space in the educational landscape, practicing the simple yet radical idea that many students are ready for college before the age of 18.
We seek community-minded, team-oriented people, who have experience working with diverse communities and colleagues, to help develop and foster a joyful, inclusive, and welcoming campus climate that allows young students to flourish. Applicants must be self-motivated, enthusiastic, organized, and demonstrate good judgment.
The Campus Safety Officer’s primary responsibility is the safety of students, employees, and visitors to campus, as well as College facilities and resources. Duties include regular foot and vehicle patrols of campus; dispatch, documentation and office management; and emergency coordination and response.
• Document incidents and maintain daily activity reports.
• Supports the efforts of the Department of Campus Life in addressing issues of student conduct.
• Oversees after-hours building and facilities access.
• Foot and vehicle patrols of campus; checks for unsafe conditions, hazards, unlocked doors, blocked entrances and exits and other code violations, facilities problems such as leaking pipes, and unauthorized persons.
• Possess effective written and oral communication.
• To effectively and professionally support the mission and initiatives of a diverse college community.
• Responds to general and emergent community needs and works closely with a team to address them appropriately.
• Help communicate with local police, fire and medical services as needed.
• Help protects evidence at the scene of incident, accident, or emergency, or security.
• Provide escorts and transportation services to students as needed.
• Promoting and sustaining a respect for the school's property; maintaining a cooperative working relationship with Housekeeping and Physical Plant staff
• Provide traffic and crowd support for special campus events and College sponsored activities.
• The department is a seven (7) day per week, twenty-four (24) hour per day operation. Work schedules may include nights, weekends, afternoons, holidays and occasional unanticipated overtime.
• The physical and mental requirements of this job include the following: seeing, hearing, speaking, and writing clearly; occasional reaching with hands and arms, stooping, kneeling, crouching and crawling; frequent sitting, standing and walking, which may be required for long periods of time; climbing stairs and walking up inclines and on uneven terrain. Additional physical requirements may include, frequent lifting and/or moving up to 10 pounds and occasional lifting and/or moving up to 30 pounds.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
Bard College at Simon’s Rock is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce. Bard College at Simon’s Rock will provide qualified people with reasonable accommodations pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act and/or any other applicable state or local laws.
Preferred; an Associates Degree or equivalent number of college credits; prior student services experience and/or working with students; a commitment to the support of a diverse and welcoming educational community. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background check. The candidate must have a valid driver’s license and basic computer skills with a working knowledge of Microsoft Word.