Company Description: Darrow School, an independent, co-ed, boarding and day school for grades 9-12, located on the New York State side of the Berkshires, offers a comprehensive and individually focused college-preparatory curriculum that features a unique combination of classroom instruction, experiential learning, and environmental consciousness. Students learn within an atmosphere that supports the pursuit of intellectual curiosity, individual creativity, and the joy of learning. The School has been recognized as a pioneer in the field of “hands-on learning,” and Darrow teachers use real-world topics and a dynamic
approach to make the subject matter come alive. Darrow School’s mission is dedicated to serving students with a wide variety of backgrounds and abilities, building on each student’s individual talents and interests to inspire enduring confidence for success in college and life.
Darrow School is located on 325 acres in the Town of New Lebanon, and comprised of 21 buildings, 16 of which are Shaker-built and designated as Registered National Historic Landmark buildings.
Darrow School does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, age, color, national or ethnic origin, gender, or sexual orientation, in the administration of any of its employment practices, admissions policies, scholarship and loan programs, educational, athletic, recreational, and other school-administered programs.
Darrow School is an equal opportunity employer boasting a beautiful work setting and a supportive community environment.
Director of Facilities
New Lebanon, NY
Director of Facilities will manage and lead the operations of property, overseeing the areas of facility maintenance and renovations, grounds and landscaping, custodial services, transportation program, construction and special projects for the school’s buildings and grounds, including the school’s 365 acres and 26 buildings (most are original Shaker structures). The position includes the following: staff supervision & hiring, facilities management, strategic planning, construction and project management.
Please visit https://www.darrowschool.org/about/careers for full details and to apply.
The following are minimal requirements to be considered for this position:
• Five years of related technical work experience is required, ideally including experience in an educational setting. Related experience could entail construction, plant engineer, project management, or facility management, ideally in a multi-building campus setting like an independent school, college, or university.
• Knowledge of steam/hot water boiler systems strongly preferred.
• Proven personnel management skills and contractor management experience, with aptitude to judge quality of performance in all major technical trades and personal experience in at least one technical trade (carpentry, mechanical, electrical, structural).
• Technology user skills sufficient to prepare reports in Excel and Word, and aptitude to operate building automation system.
• Proven ability to communicate and work effectively with a variety of members of the community, including teachers, administrators, trustees, parents, and students.
• Proven project management skills, including ability to navigate a project from concept to completion on a timely basis within budget, and respond quickly and effectively in times of emergency.
• Commitment to the institution’s needs and willingness to respond 24/7/365 as is reasonable and necessary.
• A bachelor’s degree or related experience in engineering, architecture, facility maintenance, business administration, or construction management.
• Ability to identify quality performance in technical trades.
• The position requires an extensive amount of walking around campus and through buildings, climbing stairs, and driving. The position may require lifting and carrying objects weighing greater than 50 pounds.
• Readiness to work with the following outside agencies/groups:
1. NY State Historic Preservation Office
2. Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC)
3. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
4. Columbia County Health Department
5. Department of Transportation (DOT)
6. New York State Education Department (NYSED)
7. Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)
8. Town of New Lebanon
9. Emergency Management Personnel
10. Shaker Museum and Library
• Proven personnel management skills and contractor management experience, with aptitude to judge quality of performance in all major technical trades.
• Strong organizational and interpersonal skills; ability to work effectively with all stakeholders, including administration, trustees, faculty, parents and students
• Ability to work outdoors
• Valid driver’s license