Company Description: North Adams, Massachusetts, offers an unparalleled combination of natural beauty and outdoor recreation, world class art and culture, and the entrepreneurial and innovation spirit to make the most of these resources and amenities. The City of North Adams is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to providing effective, efficient, and responsive public services to residents and visitors alike.
$16.46 Per Hour
High School or Equivalent
Minimum MA 1D water distribution license - Preference: Preferred
MA Water Surveyors license - Preference: Required
Cross Connection license - Preference: Required
Class D driver’s license - Preference: Required
Performs a variety of semi-skilled and skilled tasks in maintenance work, and operates equipment in the construction, operation, repair, maintenance, and replacement of city water, sewer, street, and storm drainage facilities and systems.
Gives general level supervision to lower level staff when needed. Technical or functional supervision may be provided by a Commissioner of Public Services, DPW Director.
• Inspects and/or repairs Water system components at frequent intervals to ensure that all aspects of the systems are functioning properly.
• Determines and verifies the locations of underground utilities (water, sewer, storm, gas, electric, phone, etc.) from the appropriate sources (Dig Safe) prior to excavation.
• Insures the proper maintenance of equipment and tools by cleaning and checking equipment and tools after use.
• Performs routine inspection and preventive maintenance on assigned equipment and refers defects or needed repairs to supervisor; cleans equipment.
• Performs all duties in conformance to appropriate safety and security standards.
• Performs required labor involved in construction and maintenance of projects as part of a crew or individually, including pavement cutting, main and pipe repair, laying pipe, trenching, backfilling, grass cutting, weed whacking and snow removal duties.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
• Knowledge of equipment, facilities, materials, methods and procedures used in maintenance, construction and repair activities including: hazards associated with the work and proper safety precautions; traffic laws, ordinances, and rules involved in truck and heavy equipment operations; purposes and uses of a variety of vehicles, equipment, power tools and hand tools including motorized, pneumatic, and hydraulic equipment; standard relating to installation, location and required maintenance of the North Adams Water System; properties of backfill materials, construction materials, concrete, asphalt, hot patch, cold patch, oils, and a variety of other materials used in maintenance work; equipment, methods, and materials used in the installation, repair, maintenance of water mains, lines and related facilities.
• Skill in operation of the listed tools and equipment including Neptune meter reading equipment. Basic computer skills in Excel, Word and Outlook.
• Ability to perform skilled maintenance, construction, and repair work in the area of work assigned; perform heavy manual tasks; to work safely and adhere to established safety principles and practices; to communicate effectively verbally and in writing; to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other departments and the public; to work effectively in the absence of close supervision; to operate a variety of vehicles and equipment in a safe and effective manner; to read and interpret basic maps and blueprints; to understand and carry out written and oral instructions.
• Assures regulatory compliance of water system and completes all required reporting to MA DEP/EPA.
• Possession of a minimum MA 1D water distribution license, or the ability to obtain within a year. MA Water Surveyors license, and Cross Connection license. Class D driver’s license.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
Motorized vehicles and equipment as assigned, for example, such as dump truck, pickup truck (with plows), utility truck, back hoe, loader, grader, street sweeper, Vac-Truck, tamper, plate compactor, saws, pumps, compressors, sanders, generators, common hand and power tools, shovels, rakes, wrenches, detection devices, mobile radio, phone, and lawn equipment.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job in compliance with Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements. On a case by case basis, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Requires the maintenance of physical conditioning necessary to operate motorized equipment and vehicles. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to stand; talk or hear; walk; sit; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and smell.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in outside weather conditions. The employee frequently works near moving mechanical parts and is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and vibration. The employee occasionally works in high, precarious places and is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, and risk of electrical shock. The employee may be required to work night, early morning, or weekend hours dependent on workload factors in addition to normally scheduled work hours.
The noise level in the work environment can be loud. The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
Review of applications will begin immediately. Interested candidates are invited to submit an application along with cover letter, resume, and references to:
Michelle Ells, Office of the Mayor
10 Main Street, North Adams, MA 01247