Company Description: North Adams, Massachusetts, offers an unparalleled combination of natural beauty and outdoor recreation, world class art and culture, and the entrepreneurial and innovation spirit to make the most of these resources and amenities. The City of North Adams is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to providing effective, efficient, and responsive public services to residents and visitors alike.
Registered Sanitarian, Certified Pool Operator, Food Safety Manager (ServSafe), Title 5 System Inspector, Title 5 Soil Evaluator. - Preference: Preferred
The Health Inspector is responsible for the investigation of complaints of unsanitary conditions, practices, and nuisances affecting the public’s health in accordance with local, state and federal law; specifically, the
interpretation, implementation, and enforcement of the Code of Massachusetts Regulations, Board of Health Regulations, Massachusetts General Laws, North Adams Board of Health Regulations and city ordinances pertaining to all aspects of public health.
• Conduct public health inspections of food service establishments, retail food service establishments, mobile food service vehicles, bakeries, tanning establishments and body art establishments.
• Conduct inspections under the provisions of the state sanitary code as it relates to minimum standards of human habitation.
• Conduct inspections of public and semi-public swimming pools.
• Respond to and document complaints concerning trash, garbage, nuisance and any other public health related infraction.
• Assist with emergency planning, working with the various local and regional agencies.
• Assists with adjudicatory and administrative hearings.
• Ensure compliance with all local, state and federal codes, regulations, laws, and ordinances as they pertain to the above inspections and duties.
• Any other duties as requested by the Director of Inspection Services.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
• A bachelor’s degree in public health, environmental health or the biological sciences or three years experience in public health or comparable private sector work; three years of experience with food, pool and housing inspections; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Currently holds or has the ability to obtain the following certifications: Registered Sanitarian, Certified Pool Operator, Food Safety Manager (ServSafe), Title 5 System Inspector, Title 5 Soil Evaluator.
• Proficiency with computers and computer programs (Word, Excel, etc.).
• Good written and oral communication skills.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
The work may require motor skills for activities such as using office equipment, including but not limited to telephones, personal computers, handheld technology, and other office equipment. May be required to lift objects such as files, boxes of papers, office supplies, and office equipment weighing up to 60 pounds. Essential position functions require ability to routinely read materials for general understanding and analytical purposes and ability to view documents on a computer screen.