Full time Equipment Mechanic, minimum of a High School diploma, and five years of experience/training in public works equipment maintenance required. A Class B CDL license, airbrake endorsement and Hoisting License, preferred. Minimum 2A & 3B restriction must be obtained with a reasonable amount of time after employment. Starting salary $21.57 per hour, with an increase to $23.57 after six-month probationary period. Benefits include health/life insurance, pension, paid holidays, sick days and vacations.
Position is a multi-skilled position, under the supervision of the Superintendent and/or Foreman of the Highway/Cemetery Department. Work requires knowledge and operations of heavy equipment and special tools used in the operation of the Highway, Sewer and Cemetery Departments. Work may be heavy and be performed under adverse weather and adverse working conditions.
1. Selected by the Highway/Cemetery Superintendent and approved by the Town Manager.
2. Keep updated on new equipment and attend any related training or educational classes.
3. Will be required to be on call to respond to Highway/Cemetery/Department emergencies. At times must perform duties in varying weather conditions.
4. Ability to work at times without supervision.
5. Heavy lifting will be required at times.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
l. Set up and maintains a maintenance schedule for all Highway and Cemetery Departments'
equipment and other departments if requested by the Superintendent.
2. Carries out an equipment maintenance program, necessary repairs, and ensuring all equipment
is in safe working condition at all times. This may require repairs to be outside of normal working
3. Reviews and address all problems or needed repairs that are written or verbally conveyed to the
mechanic by equipment operators.
4 . Establishes or continues a record for each individual piece of equipment in the Departments.
Recording any work performed on equipment and a cost of material needed to make repairs.
5. Performs inspections of fuel, hydraulic and electrical systems of equipment.
6. Prepares order forms and directs the order of materials, supplies and equipment necessary to expedite cost effective repairs. Recommends the purchase of equipment and tools.
7. Must maintain a clean and safe working area.
8. Heavy lifting will be requited at times, working in adverse weather conditions (repairs at scene of breakdown), work is performed in the presence of grease, oil, fumes, etc.
9. Perform other duties, as assigned by Superintendent and/or Foreman, in the operation of the Highway and Cemetery Department
SUGGESTED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
1. Class B motor vehicle license – Preferred or able to obtain within 6 months.
2. Massachusetts Hoisting Engineer’s License with at least a 2A & 4G restrictions- Preferred or able to maintain within 6 months.
3. High School Diploma or Equivalent.
4. Minimum 5 years’ experience and/or specialized training demonstrating ability to maintain, diagnose and perform major repair work on all equipment typical to Highway and Cemetery operations.
5. Ability to guide and direct others in the Highway and Cemetery Department, pertaining to preventative maintenance of equipment.