Work with students individually and in small groups:
- Works in special education or general education settings, including but not limited to reviewing and reinforcing previously introduced lessons and implementing prescribed instruction.
- Alerts the teacher to the special needs of individual students.
- Escorts and assists students as necessary, including lifting where appropriate.
Assist supervising teacher in addressing student needs:
- Carries out teacher-planned learning exercises including instruction of core curriculum, academic support and support of related therapies including speech and language activities, occupational and physical therapy activities and mobility training activities.
- Performs classroom and other appropriate tasks designated by the supervising teacher/principal.
- Maintains the same high level of ethical behavior and confidentiality of information about students as is expected of fully certified teachers.
- Participates in staff development programs as assigned.
- Participates as an active member of the Special Needs or Supportive Services Teams, as necessary.
- Establishes an effective work relationship with classroom teachers, specialists, and administration.
- Performs other such duties as assigned by the building principal, supervising teacher, Special Education Coordinator, or Director for Student Services.